Recently you might have received a text message from shortcode ‘8484’, a shortcode used by Pakistan Telecommunication Authority that you need to register your cellular devices before October 20th, after that your devices will get blocked.
As indicated by an order issued by the PTA, mobile users presently need to enroll their cellular gadgets with the authority before October 20 to keep away from blockage.
PTA has propelled a confirmation framework called ‘Device Identification, Registration and Blocking System’ (DIRBS). The framework is gone for guaranteeing a solid development of cell phone ecosystem in Pakistan and it will guarantee utilization of legal gadgets on the mobile networks.
What is IMEI number?
IMEI number is a unique code given to your mobile phone similar to a vehicle identification number. If blocked you can’t use your cellular device to access any mobile network in Pakistan and your phone won’t be able to make or receive any calls.
How to check IMEI number?
IMEI number which can be checked by any of the following
- Method 1: Dial *#06# on your mobile.
- Method 2: Go to ‘Settings‘ and ‘About Phone‘ section of your smartphone.
- Method 3: It is also printed on your mobile phone’s box.
- Method 4: If your phone has a removable battery, remove back cover and battery to find the IMEI number.
How to register phone with PTA:
There are three ways a user can register the device.
Method 1: Via SMS by sending the IMEI number to 8484
When you send the message to 8484 you will receive one of the following messages:
- IMEI is compliant Device IMEI is Valid. Insert SIM and make a call/SMS to anyone on or before 20/10/18 date for auto registration.
- Device IMEI is non-compliant. Please insert all your SIMs in this device and use them before 20/10/18 date to continue using this device.
- Device IMEI is blocked. Reported stolen.
Method 2: Through PTA website
- Click on this URL on your phone’s screen https://dirbs.pta.gov.pk/
- Enter your 15 digits IMEI Number in the required field.
Method 3: PTA mobile application
- Download PTA app from Play Store by clicking the following link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=pk.gov.dirbs.dvspublic
- Install the App on your device, Open the App once installed and then follow the simple instructions to enter your IMEI Number.
PTA, for the understanding of users, has explained the next steps to be taken in case your IMEI number is not valid.